Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hello world

Owen and I are feeling a bit under the weather today.  So we went to the Morton Arboretum and took it easy.  We had a good time.  Owen is growing so fast and getting so big, it's just unbelievable.  I know I have to etch these moments in my brain because every time I turn around he has changed again. 


I showed Owen how to roll down a hill.  We also played under a couple willow trees for a while.  I tried to show him how to swing from the branches but it really hurt my hands!  My sisters and I used to swing from our neighbor's tree, but I must've been a lot lighter back then or something.  Being out there reminded me of my childhood.  I think if you don't let your mind wander very often you forget those memories that are like a breeze in your mind, or like a particular scent or feeling.  We used to play outside for hours and hours.  Time passing was like Where the Wild Things Are; days and weeks would go by in our make-believe lands.  There was a little stream or creek running behind our house and we built magical castles surrounded by moats to protect our treasures.  I give it to our mom for letting us be free and not worrying about us.  I'd like to give the same wide berth to Owen and think I do okay most of the time.  One's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.  

Enough remembering.  Joe got Owen a basketball hoop this weekend.  It is Owen's first obsession I think, and he has played ball for hours on end.  I think he's pretty good, although I might just be biased.  He yells, Bingo! when he makes it and, Almost! when he misses.  I think his daddy taught him that.  Here he is.  Enjoy your Tuesday!  And happy spring break for the spring breakers out there.  

No comments: