Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My crossword obsession


Okay so I've been doing the crossword in the Chicago Tribune for a while now (honestly I can't remember when I started... with pregnancy maybe?). I forced Ehrin get me the daily paper while I was visiting her in Colorado, when was that Ehrin, Thanksgiving last year? That fated trip, or another one. I really can't start my day without it (the worst part of being away from home is being away from home).

So Ehrin found this blog called LA Times Crossword Corner, where a guy answers the crossword and then a bunch of people comment on it. I love this blog because it explains a lot of the answers, and tells of others' misgivings. It's like everyone's working on the same thing, like a book club, only it's not books. It also saves me a lot of time. I used to be crazy if I couldn't finish the whole grid, and I could spend hours googling things and wikipedia-ing until poor Owen was beside himself trying to get my attention. Poor little lamb. He does entertain himself quite beautifully though, doesn't he? But now, thanks to the blog, I can do my best with the knowledge that the answers are waiting for me whenever I choose to be finished, depending on what kind of excitement I am looking forward to in my day. Thank goodness!

Until yesterday, this was just a blog I read, nothing more. It was not personal, I did not know the people who wrote on it, and I skimmed the comments but figured that everyone knew each other and were friends. But yesterday, I ventured out and commented with the commentors (which is a word you will never find in the crossword, my friends). Much to my surprise (and delight), I was welcomed! By quite a few people! Get a load of this (the comments... yes, it's long, just skim and look for amieeaya):

http://crosswordcorner.blogspot.com/2010/01/tuesday-january-12-2010-allan-e-parrish.html


I know, I know, I'm getting excited for something pretty insignificant. But I think some of these people even read my blog, or looked at my picture at least. Unbelievable! They do exist! Don't you just love the internet?? It is an amazing thing, or place, or portal, or tool, or whatever. Jeez. That would be a great clue for the crossword, wouldn't it? Ans: THE WWW (mom, this stands for the world wide web)

Thanks for reading my random ruminations!

4 comments:

Clear Ayes said...

Hi Amieeaya, Just a quick note before my cribbage date. Nice of you to be so enthusiastic about C.C.'s blog. Did you know that she is originally from China and has only been here since 2001?

Many of us have become friends on the blog and even met up as "The California Coven" a few months ago. We had a terrific time and found out that we had a lot in common besides crosswords.

Join in the comments often. New participants always make it more fun.

Unknown said...

Amiee, You are starting to remind me of Julie. Yes, poor little lamb. You must not ignore our sweet Owen.

Jazzbumpa said...

Ami -

I started just like you did, lurking for a while, then jumping in.

Welcome to the party.

Cheers!
JzB

Mary said...

Hi Aimee,
It's fun to see C.C.s blog referenced through your blog, as I came to yours through hers. It'll be fun to get to know you. I lurk more days than I comment because of work, but both are fun. Enjoy your time with Owen, they grow up too fast.