Monday, April 19, 2010

Thinking

Today I came across this on Ali Edward's blog:

And while it takes courage to achieve greatness, it takes more courage to find fulfillment in being ordinary. For the joys that last have little relationship to achievement, to standing one step higher on the victory platform. What is the adventure in being ordinary? It is daring to love just for the pleasure of giving it away. It is venturing to give new life and to nurture it to maturity. It is working hard for the pure joy of being tired at the end of the day. It is caring and sharing and giving and loving…
Marilyn Thomsen 


I thought this was crazy until I read it a few times.  So read it again.  And then again.  Do it.  I'll wait. 


I am very ordinary.  I'd like to think that I have the courage to find fulfillment in it, although sometimes it is hard.  The summer of my discontent and all that.  I did get all the laundry done today and am feeling very pleased about that.  So aha!  Courage in fulfillment!  Dare to be fulfilled when you get all your laundry done before 3pm on a Monday!


Anyway, hope you are having a wonderful day.  It was cold out today at the park and I feel a little silly but I am wearing wool socks to warm up.  Now I have to plan some meals.  I do not have courage to feel fulfilled at this mundane task.  Bane of my existence.  

Also these are bluebells.  I'm thinking about putting them in with a bunch of ferns in the shady part near my front porch.  Cool, aren't they?  My mom suggested them and I googled them right away.  I dig it mom.


Amiee

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are wonderful.

I was walking around 24th and mission last weekend and came upon an empty lot and heard... SPRING PEEPERS. I was overjoyed. Shared memory is another reason I love you.

I would like to remember what those little purple flowers/ground cover are called. The house on Mack Road that was always flooding was covered with them in the spring and they have some lovely name like Jack in the Pulpit or Lilies of the Valley...

I need you these days. Can you feel it?

Jean Arimura said...

The purple flowers are spring beauties, my very favorite wildflower. Amiee, where was the pic of the bluebells taken? Gorgeous! Yes, plant some!

AmieeAya said...

emily, what were frogs doing in an empty lot? even amphibians have a rough life in san Fransisco. come home!