Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thinking...

Summer makes me nostalgic.  Is there anything grosser than finding the tubular shape of someone's used and discarded bandaid stuck to one of your personal belongings?  

When I was a kid I had a pretty impressive collection of bandaids, some used, some new.  I stuck them on what seemed like a very logical place at the time, my bedframe.  I had neon bandaids, striped bandaids, smiley face bandaids, hello kitty bandaids, loony toons bandaids.  I was always a bit of a collector, which has turned me presently into something of a hoarder; but alas, instead of collecting something cool and valuable (and therefore more valuable in the future), I kept things like used bandaids.  Who knows what kind of germs and bacteria I kept covered with the fringe of my comforter.  

I abandoned this bed frame in the confusion of moving from my last single-girl's apartment to my new husband's house, as I had much greater things to worry about at the time.  Left out on the side of the road, complete with mattress and box spring, I'm sure it was a lucky find for someone in the cheap/quick-furnishings market, maybe someone like the girl I was a few years prior.  Thus the question arises:  what happened to my long lost bandaid collection?  Did I tear them off one day prior to the big move into adulthood (depending on whether you count the first move out of my parents' house or the move into my husband's is open to interpretation as I am not completely sure of the answer...)?  Or was someone else completely mortified when they found that their curbside find also harbored the disgusting cluster of discolored bandaids??

I also kept the more sanitary and germ-free pencil collections, stuffed animal collection, book collection, old calendar collection, CD collection, and later a Vogue magazine collection.  Maybe there were more collections, these are the ones I remember (and still have in my basement/bedroom/Owen's bedroom).

What about you dear reader?  Anything unusual or morbid that you collect or used to collect?  I can't wait to stumble upon Owen's first hidden treasure trove.  I know he has it in him.  I hope it's something equally as weird or gross or peculiar.  There is nothing better :)

Amiee     

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I hope it wasn't my gross used bandaid you found stuck to your personal belonging! That one fell off my finger while I was feeding Amelia at your house, remember...maybe I forgot to throw it out. Yuck!
Anyway, I don't think I had any strange collections but my ex-boyfriend's brother did. He decided to show me, very proudly, that he kept all of his baby molars. Some of them had some pretty serious roots on them and some even had bits of blood and gunk on them! That's not the worst part...I noticed something else in the box and upon further inspection realized they were toenail clippings! I freaked out and he got all embarressed after he realized they were in there too. Pretty gross.

AmieeAya said...

Ha! Awesome. I love people with secrets. I think I kept my teeth for a while, until I got old enough to realize other people thought it was disgusting. It's a sad day when one comes to that...